Posted by DrFunke on July 26, 2009
Game on assholes.
1. The Fratellis – Flathead – I would’ve looked a lot more indy-cool if I had posted this about 3 years ago.
2. The Old 97’s – Question – Simply a great song if you’re in a sappy mood and enjoy wearing scarves and being emo.
3. Drive By Truckers – Women Without Whiskey – This song’s about boning and drinking, so we’re for it. Also, Drive By Truckers are secretly an awesome Southern Rock band and I feel cool telling you about them.
4a. Bruce Springsteen – Incident on 57th Street – Bruce is a God among men. This is reason 1090978079080 why. There’s never enough Bruce.
4b. Bruce Springsteen – My City of Ruin – This uplifting ditty was a song Bruce wrote about September 11th. The moral of the story is that Bruce Springsteen is amazing. Thank you for your time.
Posted in Music | Tagged: bruce springsteen, bruce springsteen > your favorite band, Drive by truckers, I am WASTED, Music, old 97's, Songs of the week | 3 Comments »
Posted by DrFunke on July 16, 2009
What’s up, bitches? It’s time for me to confuse you with my musical choices. Let us begin.
1A. Pearl Jam – “Crazy Mary (Live)” – Pearl Jam is awesome. They have a lot of songs that have no shot of getting radio play but are still amazing, and this is one of them. It’s one of their concert showstoppers, mostly because the song builds itself up, and it finishes by rocking way harder than you could ever expect it to. The reason this is 1A is because:
1B. Pearl Jam – “Blood” – If you haven’t heard Eddie Vedder scream before, I recommend it. Also, this song proves my working theory that if it’s used right, the “wah-wah” guitar pedal makes every song sound about 10 times cooler.
2. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band – “Backstreets” – I don’t know why I’m really into unexpected screaming from bad ass lead singers this week, but I am so deal with it. This was one of the better songs I’ve ever seen played live. The other best songs I’ve ever seen live were also all Bruce songs, because he’s Jesus you see.
3. 2Pac ft. Elton John (you’re reading that right) – “Ghetto Gospel” – 2Pac is my favorite rapper, ahead of like the only other 3 rappers I think are talented. Also, the comedy of imagining Pac and Elton John interacting is a plus. How is it that Elton has done famous duets with 2 of the most controversial rappers ever? First 2Pac, then his live appearance with Eminem. Elton, you are one of hip-hop’s finest. I think it’s time you bless us with a “Crocodile Rock” remix, featuring T.I. and Dirt Nasty.
Posted in Music | Tagged: Bruce, bruce springsteen > your favorite band, Elton John would be a great rapper, Music, Pearl Jam, these are not consistent choices | Leave a Comment »
Posted by DrFunke on July 28, 2008
This Sunday marks the inauguration of a new weekly segment, celebrating the people who have truly made this country so beautiful to live in. How do I pick from so many different options? Simple. Start at the place where we find the inhabitants of American high brow culture. The Maury Povich Show. And his specials on paternity tests. Lucky for all of you, there are two heroes I’d like to show you today. First, we have Dion.
To start, I’d like to note that the woman in this video is as annoying as she is slutty. Which is to say, very, seeing as this is the 11th paternity test she’s had to find her child’s father. And Dion lets her know it too (“Man, I ain’t the last one. There’s gonna be 12, a 13, a 14, a 15…”) Now this is where Dion’s true greatness reveals itself. When Maury lets him know he’s not the father, he literally falls over in his chair (1:16). Mother crying? Who gives a shit. Fatherless child? No one’s really concerned. And he gets literally infinite extra points for crowd interaction. At full sprint, he high-5’s the entire aisle. But he gets extra credit for his solid dance moves. Why only solid? Because you haven’t seen Andrew yet.
I mean… Jesus. Think about this, long and hard. Has there ever been a better reaction to anything? Ever? I say no. Again, with no concern for the father-less child, Andrew celebrates his single-hood with authority. And with a dance that may have actually been rehearsed beforehand. Now if that’s not good enough, he actually manages to get the crowd dancing with him, while yelling “Hey!” with him too. I actually just got home from a Bruce Springsteen concert. I’m not sure who was more impressive with crowd interaction. I just wish Andrew had 100,000 people to work with. God, I’d love to get onto Maury’s show.
Posted in True American Heroes | Tagged: american heroes, Black people are hilarious, bruce springsteen > your favorite band, children without dads are hilarious, future drug addicts, high brow humor, maury povich, orphans, sloots | Leave a Comment »