Posted by DrFunke on July 26, 2009
Game on assholes.
1. The Fratellis – Flathead – I would’ve looked a lot more indy-cool if I had posted this about 3 years ago.
2. The Old 97’s – Question – Simply a great song if you’re in a sappy mood and enjoy wearing scarves and being emo.
3. Drive By Truckers – Women Without Whiskey – This song’s about boning and drinking, so we’re for it. Also, Drive By Truckers are secretly an awesome Southern Rock band and I feel cool telling you about them.
4a. Bruce Springsteen – Incident on 57th Street – Bruce is a God among men. This is reason 1090978079080 why. There’s never enough Bruce.
4b. Bruce Springsteen – My City of Ruin – This uplifting ditty was a song Bruce wrote about September 11th. The moral of the story is that Bruce Springsteen is amazing. Thank you for your time.
Posted in Music | Tagged: bruce springsteen, bruce springsteen > your favorite band, Drive by truckers, I am WASTED, Music, old 97's, Songs of the week | 3 Comments »
Posted by DrFunke on July 7, 2009
This will be a weekly post from me, the good doctor. Maybe good isn’t the best word but you follow me. Anyway, I’m spending a lot of time in New York City this summer (*smells own farts*), which means I spend a lot of quality time on the Subway with people who look like circus freaks and smell like their own urine, or people who seem to be a walking anti-tattoo PSA, or, fittingly, some women who make me go from 6 to midnight in a heartbeat. There’s no way I’m going to talk to any of these assholes or lovely ladies, and that means I’m getting a lot of mileage out of my iPod. In these posts, I’ll put up a few songs that I’ve been listening to lately. This will be entertaining for a few reasons: my fellow bloggers will just berate the fuck out of me in the comments section. My music choices will confuse the hell out of you because I have music taste that’s oddly varied but simultaneously extremely specific and generally makes about as much sense as this sentence. If I can promise one thing, it’s that few of my choices will be current or relevant, but then again I think they’re awesome so blow me. Hopefully I’m better at this than I was with my “Links of the week” deal, because that one lasted about 2 weeks. Without further ado:
1. “Little Secrets” by Passion Pit: This song is really poppy and really electronic and hooky, and I always hate stuff like this. Then again, I loved those 3 MGMT songs, and this song is the same sort of style.
2. “Gold Lion” by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Watch the video. Jesus it is weird. On the bright side: slow motion, fire, guitars getting smashed, and a solid rock song with nonsensical lyrics.
3. “Massive Nights” by The Hold Steady: I love this band. Their singer basically just talks and sounds a little drunk (which makes sense because they have a bunch of songs about getting wasted), and the band is heavier than you’d expect. *Note: the video isn’t great quality, presumably because it was filmed in Wisconsin and there were too many fat people. Doesn’t make sense? Ask me if I give a shit, fatty.
Posted in Music | Tagged: anti-fat people, dr. funke has confusing music taste, Drinking, Music, passion pit, Songs of the week, the hold steady, yeah yeah yeahs | Leave a Comment »